in

Grapes & Raisins: Deadly Snacks for Dogs (Act Fast if They Eat Them!)

Grapes & sultanas are toxic to dogs, even in small amounts! Quick action can save your pup. Learn symptoms & how to keep them safe.

A close-up photo of a bunch of colorful grapes, highlighting the potential danger they pose to dogs.

Grapes Toxic to Dogs. Grapes, raisins, currants, and sultanas are all part of a family of fruits called ‘Vitis vinifera’ that can cause gut and kidney problems in dogs. If eaten, they can cause gut problems and, in severe cases, kidney failure. The toxic dose varies from dog to dog, but in some cases, it can be tiny (i.e. some dogs don’t have to eat much of the fruit to become poorly).

Symptoms of grape/raisin/currant/sultana poisoning tend to include vomiting, diarrhoea, a painful abdomen, blood in poo, low energy, and reduced appetite. If the fruits severely poison your dog, they may develop kidney failure over the following 1-3 days.

If you believe your dog has eaten grapes, raisins, currants, or sultanas, contact your vet immediately – do not wait to see if they develop symptoms. Treatment should be given quickly because, left untreated, grape/raisin/currant/sultana poisoning can cause death.

Your vet may give your dog an injection to make them vomit. This aims to bring any undigested fruit back up and prevent further toxins from being absorbed. Activated charcoal is a black powder that traps toxins. It’s usually mixed with water and given as a paste in food. Your vet may need to put your dog on a fluid drip to support their kidneys and help them flush out any fruit toxins in their bloodstream. Your vet may need to give your dog other medications depending on their symptoms and how poorly they are. Blood tests will be run to check whether the fruit has affected your dog’s kidneys 1.

It’s important to note that raisins can commonly be found in combination with other foods, potentially increasing the risk of exposure compared to grapes and currants.

In conclusion, it’s best to keep grapes, raisins, currants, and sultanas out of reach of your furry friends. Contact your vet immediately if you suspect your dog has ingested these fruits. Early intervention can save your dog’s life.

Why are grapes and sultanas toxic to dogs?

The exact reason grapes, raisins, currants, and sultanas are toxic to dogs is unknown. However, recent research has indicated that tartaric acid, a compound found in grapes, may be poisonous. Dogs are known to be uniquely sensitive to tartaric acid, which could explain why they are susceptible to grape/raisin/currant/sultana poisoning.

A group of colorful grapes, raisins, currants, and sultanas in a bowl against a light background. This image shows some fruits that are toxic to dogs, including grapes, raisins, currants, and sultanas. If you suspect your dog has eaten any of these fruits, contact your vet immediately.

If eaten, these fruits can cause gut problems and, in severe cases, kidney failure. The toxic dose varies from dog to dog, but in some cases, it can be tiny (i.e. some dogs don’t have to eat much of the fruit to become poorly). Symptoms of grape/raisin/currant/sultana poisoning tend to include vomiting, diarrhoea, a painful abdomen, blood in poo, low energy, and reduced appetite. Contact your vet immediately if you suspect your dog has ingested these fruits. Early intervention can save your dog’s life.

What are the symptoms?

Symptoms of grape/raisin/currant/sultana poisoning tend to include:

  • Nausea, vomiting and digestive problems
  • Diarrhea or loose stools. Residues of grapes or raisins in the stool
  • Decrease in appetite
  • Lethargy and weakness
  • Stomach and abdominal pain
  • Dehydration despite drinking water
  • Difficulty urinating
  • Inability to urinate

If the fruits severely poison your dog, they may develop kidney failure over the following 1-3 days 1. Contact your vet immediately if you suspect your dog has ingested these fruits. Early intervention can save your dog’s life.

The prognosis

The prognosis for grape/raisin/currant/sultana poisoning in dogs varies depending on the particular dog’s sensitivity, how quickly decontamination occurs, the amount of ingested fruit, and if the animal has developed kidney failure. The prognosis is excellent if a dog only ate a few grapes or raisins (depending on the dog’s size) and received immediate treatment. However, if the kidneys are damaged and no urine is produced, the prognosis is poor, and death is likely. The kidneys have very little ability to regenerate or repair themselves.

Contact your vet immediately if you suspect your dog has ingested these fruits. Early intervention can save your dog’s life.

How can I keep my dog safe from grape/raisin poisoning?

To keep your dog safe from grape/raisin poisoning, it’s best to keep grapes, raisins, currants, and sultanas out of reach of your furry friends. Contact your vet immediately if you suspect your dog has ingested these fruits. Early intervention can save your dog’s life.

Here are some additional tips to keep your dog safe:

  1. Be mindful of food items containing raisins: Raisins can commonly be found in combination with other foods, potentially increasing the risk of exposure compared to grapes and currants.
  2. Train your dog to avoid eating food from the table: This will help prevent accidental ingestion of grapes, raisins, currants, or sultanas.
  3. Keep your dog on a leash during walks: This will help prevent your dog from eating grapes, raisins, currants, or sultanas lying on the ground.
  4. Store grapes, raisins, currants, and sultanas in a secure location. Ensure these fruits are stored in an inaccessible place for your dog.

Contact your vet immediately if you suspect your dog has ingested these fruits. Early intervention can save your dog’s life. 

Thank you for reading the article to the end. Your reading contribution was significant to us.

Affiliate Disclosure: The Frenchie Breed website may receive a small commission from the proceeds of any product(s) sold through affiliate and direct partner links at no cost to you.

Follow Frenchie Breed on Google News

+ posts

The "Frenchie Breed" website is a blog aimed at dog owners. We regularly publish articles about our four-legged furry friends. Among the contents of our blog, you will find ample space on the latest news in the sector, with information and in-depth analysis dedicated to the world of dogs in all its forms, the latest trends and news of the moment, curious facts, events devoted to dogs, product reviews, as well as an intense activity of information regarding the health and well-being of pets.

Please Note: The articles in the 'Frenchie Breed Blog' are for information purposes only; nothing published can or should be construed as an attempt to offer professional advice or consultation with a physician, veterinary surgeon or another health professional.

Leave a Reply

What do you think?

54.2k Points
Upvote Downvote

Written by Frenchie Breed

The "Frenchie Breed" website is a blog aimed at dog owners. We regularly publish articles about our four-legged furry friends. Among the contents of our blog, you will find ample space on the latest news in the sector, with information and in-depth analysis dedicated to the world of dogs in all its forms, the latest trends and news of the moment, curious facts, events devoted to dogs, product reviews, as well as an intense activity of information regarding the health and well-being of pets.

Please Note: The articles in the 'Frenchie Breed Blog' are for information purposes only; nothing published can or should be construed as an attempt to offer professional advice or consultation with a physician, veterinary surgeon or another health professional.

30 Unique Dog Lover Gifts to Melt Hearts: From Cozy Blankets to Stylish Tees, Unleash the Paw-some Joy!

30 Pawsitively Adorable Gifts for Dog Lovers

Discover the World of Toy Dog Breeds: Characteristics, Histories, and Care Tips.

Small But Mighty: The World Of Toy Dog Breeds